In the last century, five Pictish stones were discovered at St. Rule’s Church suggesting that it was a Pictish church of some importance.
According to the St. Andrews foundation legend, St. Rule brought over the relics of our patron saint and he visited the nearby Ecclesmonichto – opposite Balmossie Mill – and the church in Monifieth was later dedicated in his name.
Celtic Culdee monks owned Monifieth Church until the early thirteenth century and they may have had an establishment in Monifieth. In 1242 Matilda, Countess of Angus confirmed their lands to Abbot Nicholas, son of the priest of Kirriemuir.
In the churchyard, there are many old gravestones with inscriptions revealing information about local families who made their homes in the area.