|Rev. Dr. Nelu Balaj|
|St Vigean's Church|
Located on a conical mound 1¼ miles (2 km) north of the centre of Arbroath in Angus, St Vigean's towers over the neat red-sandstone cottages of the village below.
Dating from 1100, the foundation is dedicated to the Irish St. Fechin (or Vigean) of Fohbar who died in 664 and indeed may have first been established about that time when missionaries brought Christianity from Ireland and Iona.
Although much altered, parts of the 12th century building remain and the tower dates from the 15th century.
The church was consecrated in 1242 by Bishop David de Bernham of St Andrews and reconsecrated after additions completed in 1485.
The church was significantly enlarged and modernised in 1871 and some fine stained-glass windows were added depicting scenes of the nativity, baptism, crucifixion, resurrection and ascension.
An important collection of thirty-two Pictish sculpted-stones which either formed part of the fabric of the building or were excavated while digging graves were displayed for a time in the church but later transferred to a small museum in the village.